This recent snowfall definitely put a damper on the whole “spring is in the air” feeling most of us had. But we refuse to let this bit of snow keep us cooped up inside. Especially since we’ve got some great suggestions for things to do during the month of May. Here they are!
1) The Pioneer Museum Tea House Opening Day –Friday, May 3rd@11:00AM. The pride of the Pioneer Museum is officially open for the season on Friday, May 3rd. The Tea House is strictly volunteer-run, and they serve delicious lunches and pies every Friday and Saturday from 11:00AM – 3:00PM during the summer months. We can’t think of anything more satisfying than a home-cooked meal.
2) Stony Plain Annual Treasure Hunt– Friday, May 3rd– Sunday, May 5th. During this weekend of treasure hunting, Stony Plain residents have an opportunity to de-clutter their homes by putting unwanted gently used items on their curb during May 3rdto May 5thand going on the “hunt” for new treasures found around the town. Let your clutter become someone else’s treasure!
Stony Plain Large Item Pick Up– Monday, May 6th– Friday, May 10th. During the week following the Annual Treasure Hunt, the town will be collecting a variety or large items from your curb. Items that can be disposed of include: fridges, washers, dryers, lawn mowers, etc. There are a number of items that will NOT be collected, so we recommend that you read up on the list that can be found on the town of Stony Plain’s website.
3) Amazing Race Spruce Grove– Saturday, May 11th@ Columbus Park in Spruce Grove. How cool is this? Your team of two gets to travel through the Tri-Region while stopping in at local businesses to receive challenges as the race progresses. If you’re the first team to complete each challenge, then you win $1000.00! Participants must be over the age of 18. Team cost = $150.00. Follow this link to find out more information!
4) Mom & Me Afternoon Tea– Sunday, May 12th@ Crock-A-Doodle in Spruce Grove. We’re a sucker for a great family activity that celebrates Moms, especially on Mother’s Day! Enjoy tea and treats as you paint away a special piece for Mom. All ages are welcome and pre-registration is required. Check out their website for more info.
5) Butterfly Day– Sunday, May 26thfrom 11:00AM – 3:00PM @ the University of Alberta Botanic Gardens. Who doesn’t love butterflies! Dress up as your favorite butterfly or bug and head down to the Devonian Botanic Gardens to enjoy this family event. Catch some bugs, take in some butterfly crafts, and bug inspired games. There’s really something for everyone here. Cost = Admission into the Gardens. Some crafts have a nominal fee. Check out their website for more info!